Location: Near Kankaria Lake, Front Gate No.6, Ahmadabad, Gujarat-380002
Kankaria is an artificial lake and reckoned as the second largest lake in Ahmadabad, Gujarat. Built way back in the 15th century by Sultan Qutbuddin, the lake used to be renowned once as Hauz-e-Qutub. Moving ahead, the lake was reinforced in 2006 by the Ahmadabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) and completed in 2008. Today, the region is quite popular for boasting a garden themed amusement ground called Nagina Wadi Garden, which means a beautiful garden. With plenty of amusing stuffs, Nagina Wadi Garden in Kankaria is an amazing site to explore for local visitors.
Over the periods of time, the AMC has put into practice lot of initiatives to make this site more enticing for visitors of all age. One of the leading attractions that you find today in the garden area is its illuminated musical laser fountain, which looks amazing after the dusk. Besides, you also get to grab here many other attractions including kid’s city, zoo, aquarium, museum, speed boat, Jet SKI, balloon ride, Segway, toy train, food stalls, Butterfly Park and many other exciting water activities. This amazing lake and vibrant themed garden witness nearly 8000 footfalls every day. It is also reported that on Sundays, the number of visitors even reach 20000 as well, which is quite lot in terms of popularity.
The surrounding area of the lake offers you a breathtaking ambiance blending with vibrant trees and walkways. Despite being one of the delightful sites for kids, the long track around the Nagina Wadi Garden also allures plenty of joggers and walkers as well. In addition, people also flock here to practice yoga and meditation. Near the lake campus there is a gym as well. One more addition to the key attractions of Nagina Wadi Garden is ‘Atal Express’, which is a train named after former Indian Prime Minister Mr. Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Best time to visit:
Travellers making a plan to visit Ahmadabad are always recommended to be there during winter (October to March). The reason being, summers are quite scorching there with a maximum temperature of 420C to 450C. Monsoon is also not a good idea to visit the Nagina Wadi Garden, as torrential rain from June to September may steal the actual fun of get the best out of it. However, if you want to experience a week-long fiesta at the Kankaria Lake, you must visit there in the last week of December when the popular Kankaria Carnival is held here with great enthusiasm. During the festival, plenty of interesting cultural events, exhibitions, artworks and social activities are organised here.
Kankaria Lake is open all round the week from 4AM to 11PM. However, the best time to visit the Nagina Wadi Garden is from 9AM to 4PM. The garden remains closed on Mondays.
The entry fee is quite pocket-friendly for visitors. Adults have to spend INR 20 as entry fee, while for kids the fee is INR 10.
Things to do:
Having outlined the key attractions of Kankaria Lake and Nagina Wadi Garden, the place is laid out with plenty of amusement opportunities to grab.
So when stepping into this favourite hangout spot in Ahmadabad, following are some interesting things that you should do:
- With a rich variety of wild species and birds, Kankaria Zoo is a must visit. Some of the key attractions in this zoo include tigers, lions, python, wild asses, spotted deer and crocodiles. This is an amazing spot to visit by family and kids.
- Amusement park is an absolute delight for people of all age. Ages back, a Netherland based company has installed various nerve-pumping rides in this park that include Disk ‘O’ pendulum, Boomerang Roller Coaster, Flipping Arm and much more.
- Sprawled over 4000 sq. metre areas, the Kids City is a must visit for kids, where they can experience some unparalleled fun including computer zone, water activities, ice-cream factory etc.
- If you haven’t experienced the thrill of balloon ride, Kankaria Lake offers you this amazing opportunity from where you can catch a sky view of the beautiful Kankaria region. Doing this is a real fun for adventure junkies. In addition, four different sections can also be spotted here including a balloon themed restaurant, tethered balloon, heritage exhibit and Ahmadabad Eye complex.
- If you are accompanied by kids, experiencing a joyful ride over toy train is a must for them.
- Speed boat is one more delightful act that you may also enjoy during your visit to Kankaria Lake.
- If you are nature lover, strolling around the refreshing garden area is something really spellbound.
- A trip remains incomplete without fulfilling your gastronomic desire. Keeping that parameter in mind, Nagina Wadi Garden also boasts few eateries for its visitors offering them some luscious palters and snacks to taste.
For locals, reaching Kankaria Lake and Nagina Wadi Garden is quite convenient. They can take the Punt Maharaj Road that stands across the Nelson’s Primary School. Bus or private vehicles may be the feasible modes of commutation to reach the destination. For outsiders on the other hand, here’s what you all need to know:
By Air: The nearest airport to Kankaria Lake is Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, which is situated around 12Kms away. This airport is well-connected to various destinations across the country. Once you reach the airport, you can hire a cab, taxi or get into a bus to commute further.
By Train: For railway travellers, the nearest railway station is Ahmadabad Jn, which is located nearly 5kms from the destination. Some of the major trains to reach Ahmadabad Jn are Hapa Express, Porbandar Motihari Express, Porbandar Delhi Sarai Rohilla Express, Bikaner ranakpur Express, Chennai Egmore Jodhpur Express and Secunderabad bikaner Express. From railway station, you can hire a taxi or an auto-rickshaw to reach Kankaria Lake.
By Road: Ahmadabad is considered to be one of the prime cities in Gujarat. The city is visited my plenty of tourists and travellers from all over the sphere. Thanks to the Ahmedabad Municipal Transport Service (AMTS) for connecting the city with many major Indian cities like Pune, Mumbai (via NH 8), Shirdi, and Gandhinagar. From these locations, regular buses are also there to reach Ahmadabad conveniently. In addition, reaching Ahmadabad by road from its adjoining locations is also quite effortless. You can hire a cab or taxi to reach your destination with ease.
Places to stay:
The presence of comfy accommodation is an important aspect here that offers you a pleasant stay in Ahmadabad. There are plenty of budget and luxury hotels that you will find around the city. Based upon the type of accommodation and amenities you avail, the charges will vary. However, by spending something around INR 1000-INR 4000, you can avail some of the pleasant accommodations in Ahmadabad.
Here is a list of some of the commonly visited hotels that you may also refer during your stay in the city:
#The Grand Bhagwati
S.G. Road, NH 8C, Sarkhej – Gandhinagar Highway,
Opp Gurudwara, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 380054
Behind Prime Status, Opp. Safal Vivan Bunglow S.G Highway,
Gota, Ahmedabad, India 382481
#Lemon Tree Hotel Ahmedabad
434/1, Mithakhali Six Cross Roads, Navrangpura,
Ahmedabad, India 380006
Opp. Gujarat College,Ellisbridge,
Ahmedabad, India 380006
15, Ashram Road, Ahmedabad, India 380013
#The Ummed Ahmedabad
Airport Circle, Ahmedabad, India 384275