The Bandhavgarh National Park, lying in the heart of the Vindhya Mountain Range in Central India is a small, yet beautiful National Park. The density of the tiger population at Bandhavgarh is the highest known in India.
The centre of the park is dominated by the majestic Bandhavgarh Fort built in the 14th century, around which are numerous caves containing shrines and ancient Sanskrit inscriptions.No records remain to show when Bandhavgarh Fort was constructed. It is thought, however, to be some 2,000 years old, and there are references to it in the ancient books, the Narad-Panch Ratra and the Siva Purana.
Ruins of Bandhavgarh Fort
The park has four main entrances, Panpatha in the north, Tala in the east (most of the hotels are located in Tala), Dhamokar in the south-west and Khitauli in the west. Two roads, Umaria-Rewa highway and Parasi-Katni road via Khitauli pass through the park. Tala is a small village on the Umaria-Rewa state highway.
The original home of all the white tigers alive, today, Bandhavgarh was the hunting ground of the Maharajas of Rewa; their old fort still dominates a hill in the forest. These white tigers were found in the old state of Rewa for many years. The last known tiger was captured by Maharaja Martand Singh in 1951. The White Tiger, Mohan, is now stuffed and on display in the palace of the Maharaja of Rewa.
The forest of Bandhavgarh can be classified as moist deciduous, and the National Park holds all those animal species which are typical of this habitat in Central India.
To reach, you can take the nearest airport which is at Jabalpur (164 km). The most convenient route to Bandhavgarh is to fly from Delhi to Khajuraho, from where it is a five and a half hour drive (237 km). Though long, the drive is interesting. The road crosses the Ken river, some stretches of which have been declared as crocodile sanctuary famous for Ghariyal, a rare fish eating crocodile.