Delhi is the capital of India. New Delhi is the seat of the legislative, executive and judiciary branches of the Government of India. Delhi showcases a blend different cultures of different religion. Language mainly spoken in Delhi is Hindi, although, people know English as well.
Delhi is famous for festivals and national events are celebrated here, like Independence Day and Republic Day. Most people celebrate Independence Day by flying kites, as a symbol of Freedom. In the month of August, Delhi is a popular place to visit due to Independence Day celebrations at The Red Fort.
Other festivals like Diwali, Holi, Christmas and Eid are also celebrated here with a lot of zeal.
Historic Sites and Museums to Visit in Delhi
1. India Gate – It is a well respected monument which was built in 1932 in order to honor the Indian Army. It is a 42 meter tall monument. It attracts many local as well as foreign tourists.
2. Qutub Minar – It is another popular place in Delhi. Qutub Minar is one of the tallest monument in Delhi. It has been constructed with red stone. It is now a proud icon of Delhi.
3. Akshardham Temple – A beautiful temple of Delhi, the infrastructure of Akshardham has amazing architecture and has been constructed beautifully. The decoration at Akshardham is breathtaking and the interiors unbelievable. Photography is not allowed inside the temple.
5. Jama Masjid – It is one of the largest Islamic Mosque in the city. It has a few onion shaped domes and two towering minarets. It was built in 17th century and has a huge infrastructure.
6. Bangla Sahib Gurudwara – A famous gurudwara in the heart of the city, you can see a huge water pool in the middle. The gurudwara has a dining facility also, where people share their meals with each other. It also provides medical facility. Here, you can enjoy the Sikh band playing drums and chanting mantras. Tourists visiting Delhi have to visit this place.
7. Jantar Mantar – It is a complex containing different structures which are used for astronomy observations. One should come here and see the scales.
Delhi is well connected through metro train and people can visit all these sites on metro. It is easy, quick, cheap, clean, comfortable and well maintained.
Shopping Centers in Delhi
1. Connaught Place
2. Spice Market
3. Chandni Chowk and Chawri Bazaar
4. Hauz Khas
5. Dilli Haat
These are the places where you can buy clothes and accessories of different cultures. These places are also famous for their food outlets. Delhi has a fabulous street food menu. Gol Gappe and Aloo Chat are a must try while during your visit to Delhi.