Kodaikanal is a charming hill station located near the city of Madurai in Tamil Nadu. This place is famous for Kurinji flower which blooms once in 12 years in the month of December and covers the valley in a beautiful sea of blue. The next bloom is expected around 2018.
Best time to visit: April to June and September to October
What clothes to carry: Light woolens in summers and heavy woolens in winter.
Sights to See
1. Kodaikanal Lake: It is spread over an area of 24 hectares and is skirted by a 4.8 km tarred road. The lake is a popular tourist attraction here. You can go boating and fishing is possible with permission from the authorities.
2. The Golf Club is situated at a height of 6,000 feet and is spread over an area of 100 acres of beautiful land. The Golf Club here is a must visit. Covering an area of 20 acres, with 740 varieties of roses, Bryant’s Park is a popular tourist destination on the Eastern side of the lake.
3. Coaker’s Walk: This place has a wonderful view of the plains of Madurai and from the Green Valley View, you can get a beautiful view of the entire Vaigai Project.
4. Astrophysical Observatory: The observatory, situated at a height of 2,347 m, was founded in 1899. It is the only one of its kind in the country where a substantial work in the domains of work on solar astrophysics has been done. Visiting hours: 10 am to 12.30 pm and 7 pm to 9 pm (during season); 10 am to 12 noon on Fridays only (off season).
5. Fairy Falls: Fairy Falls are located about 5 kms from Kodaikanal Lake and Silver Cascade Falls are located about 8 km from the lake where the excess water from Kodai Lake surges down in the form of a roaring, 180- feet high waterfall.
6. Kurinji Andavar Temple: The temple is located 3.2 km away from the main town and its presiding deity is Lord Murugan. From here, visitors can have a beautiful view of the northern plains including Vaigai Dam.
7. Pillar Rocks: Just 7.2 km away from Kodaikanal are the 122 m high rocks with imposing boulders. There are picnic spots behind the rocks and several caves and chasms for tourists to explore.